Saturday, December 22, 2012

What did you say?

It has been almost 25 years since we moved to Kentucky.   When a Kentuckian asks me, "When did you move here?", the easiest way to convey it is to reply, "The year Rick Pitino came to UK", as the  head basketball coach (he is now regarded as the traitorous wretch that now coaches the Lousy-ville Cardinals).  Being here this long, I have lost my northern accent and ways.  According to the locals I am not quite there, yet (Milea has assimilated much more quickly).  From the outside Kentucky is known for (listed in no particular order):  Bourbon (named for the area or specific counties it is created in), horses, tobacco, hillbillies with missing teeth and the uneducated.  From the inside, KY should be known for (listed in a particular order):  college basketball, horses, Bourbon, tobacco, friendly people and, I would like to add, the hard of hearing.  I am not sure if it is hereditary or environmental, I am leaning to the latter.  A lot of people feel that KY could easily have the license plate "The land of Allergies".  I am not sure, but this may be the cause of the deterioration to our hearing, the allergies causing more fluids in the ear canals thus more  "plugage", drainage  and possible excess production of ear wax.  When our kids were small we found that they were getting hard of hearing and upon closer inspection we found their ears were almost or completely closed off with wax.
  Today, I was talking to a man who was walking down the street, he replied to me, "What did you say?" and then went on to answer my question without me clarifying.  I recognized this pattern, as I have found this in my own life, and NO, I don't think its just cause I am getting old! Can you say "ALLERGIES?"  Phillip's wife, Kaitlin, insists we, in particular me, speak too softly (and carry a big stick, my interjection) she seems to have succumbed.
  Further proof of this hearing condition follows... from the outside upon talking to some "locals" you may get the impression that they are unedjumecated, but in reality, I believe, it is just a hearing condition that has led to a mispronunciation problem.
Bardstown Road... is often pronounced "Bargetown"
Across...  often is pronounced "accrost"
I heard recently that someone cut "the amBiblical cord" on their new baby
Also heard a lady at WalMart ask for help in finding a printer "cartlage"  (not believing my ears, I followed the conversation and found it repeated)
I recently saw a Craigs List ad... "Almost Brain New Laptop"  (add a southernish twang to that and you'll understand)
While talking to a man, he related that "There was a bad accident and both cars were in the 'medium'."
We also have 'Chimley' or sometimes 'Chimbley' sweeps  Also saw a hand printed sign on a truck door advertising "Chimley Repair"
Recently...  "Lets sing a 'hymnal'" (it took us all night)
And there are many more...
 I have noticed, thanks to Anna's husband Steven, (who seems to talk quietly and very fast, and if it were not for my lightening fast brain that is somehow able to process and analyze the sounds that come out while he talks and even though there seems to be a delay in my understanding, often 5-10 seconds behind him finishing)  I also need some ear cleaning and have succumbed to living in KY.
Beyond my theory of hearing loss... I have absolutely no 'ideal'.


Reminder:  Due to Facebook's desire to make more $ (using the Promotion button) at any given time only 50-70% of your friends see your posts or in my case the notifications of these posts.  If you want an email alert to my latest postings, please email me at smbutler@outlook  dot (.) com (written that way to help avoid spam) and give me your email address and you'll stay up to date.  I promise not to spam you or sell any info.

2 comments:

  1. LOL. I have lived here for 15 years now, and though I am sure I have traded some of my Texas accent in for a Kentucky accent, there is NOTHING worse than hearing people (especially my in-laws) say these words that don't even exist! I was just talking to my brother about it. It's like they just make words up! I don't understand, maybe they never could read well and therefore never bothered to find out the correct spelling or pronunciation of a word. Either way, I guess all I can do is find humor in it at this point...and correct my children's grammar when they come home from Nana's house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter where we are from we all have linguistic idiosyncrasies. There just seems to be a few more in this neck of the world. Somebody sent me an update from a teachers text... "I forgot my phone today. If you need to get whole of me call Bobby's phone."

    ReplyDelete