Saturday, May 7, 2011

Why it’s Important

For the last month and a half I have been feeling an urge to visit a rental house that we own (it is about an hour away). It is a house that we had previously owned and then my mother owned and she sold to someone to move back to Minnesota. We saw it was repossessed by a bank several years ago, so we bought it back. Long story short, we were about 2 months too late to get it back on the market before the housing glut hit, that happened a year after we bought it, so we currently rent it. I have had an older couple living there for about a year, it was nice having someone stable and that paid rent on time.

While away, overnight in southern KY, I received a mysterious call. I finally sorted out that it was the son of my renter. “I just wanted to let you know my mom and dad moved out and went back to Maine a week or two ago and you won’t be able to contact them cause they changed their number.” It was late at night and my mind started running wild… I wanted to curse them however, God said to me, “Bless, don’t curse them.” (That was a hard one at the time). The house had about 8 inches of water in the basement when we bought it and then about ¾ the way through the renovation a pipe burst and we had about 5 feet of water or should I say a new indoor swimming pool. The downside was the electric breaker box was in the pool and underwater (I later installed a battery backup sump pump). If the renter turned off the electricity or had not paid the electric bill and it had been turned off… I was concerned (to say the least) that it had drained the battery and with all the rain we have been getting… the basement would be full again. I also saw it (in my mind) piled high with junk, refrigerator and stove gone... Peace, peace. Father I give you this situation, I can’t do anything tonight (unless I were to leave here now and drive a couple hours in the dark and storming night…). No, Father I give it to you and my finances and my mind (arrrggg). Peace, peace. About an hour later with much wrestling to get control of my mind through much prayer and worship, I was finally able to slip off and go to sleep...for a while… (the whole process continued most of the night). The following day I left earlier than I originally intended and found the house mostly clean (so,so) and reasonably empty (except for a big heavy sofa, no match for a saws-all though, and boxes). Then there was the yard (all 1.75 acres) that was 12-24 inches tall (mostly 24, aarrrrgggg!).

If I had only listened to the nudging... It may not have saved me much money or a renter but it sure would have saved me some sleep and mowing time! God is on our side and knows what is best for us. If we will only listen to His leading us in all areas. Again, He is on our side and is interested in us enough to help us in all areas of our life. That is why it’s important to listen, hear and do. In the words of the 1970’s “Y’all got yer’ ears on good buddy? Breaker 1-9!”









No comments:

Post a Comment