Friday, March 25, 2011

Where are you going to church anyway?



When we as believers make things priority over our or another's relationship to the Father we are making an idol or you could say a god to worship.  In today's society we have raised the man made institution of "the church" to a level with the Godhead.  If you are trying to influence people to the gospel, what is the method that you try to get them to or interested in God?  The three most common used that I have seen is "Come to my church.", another is "You should come hear my pastor.", but the real invitation should be "Let me tell you about my God" or "This is what God has done for me" or again "Hows your relationship with God?".  To what or whom are you pointing them to for their salvation?  The church building or meeting is not to be the attraction or goal, the goal is the Father.
  I recently visited (creeping?), through a common acquaintance's post, "Philip's" facebook page (a pastor of a local "revival church")  below is a print screen image of an entry.


I know both parties and "Jim" has been out of his church (and from what I know all churches) for 8-10 years under the assumption that he was leaving God.  You will notice the thing that "Philip" emphasized.  I don't know for certain but it looks like this is the note after "Philip" accepted his friend request and may have been the only communication between them (I know its a supposition, but I think its accurate).  It may have been the only communication with him and all it did was inflict a feeling of guilt or shame. Where is the encouragement for relationship or the words pointing him to the Father or even  the current concern about his present life to reestablish a relationship and then be able to speak into his life?  I am not bringing this up to embarrass either party, but is a real life example that shows all what we probably do ourselves mainly out of habit or upbringing or even lack of relationship with the Father. 
   To point someone to a church it takes knowing an address or directions or a financial interest in that church and can have NOTHING to do with God.  To be able to point someone to the Father it takes a relationship with the Father or better yet a current relationship with the Father.  Letting people know what God has done for you can be one of the most effective ways to bring people to the Father.  Have confidence in what He has done in and for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment