Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Not what you might expect


I am strange.  "Well duh!" you say.  Here are some things that you may not know that I am sure will make you wonder some more.
I don't like suspenseful movies.  Do you remember the show "Lost in Space"?  It had June Lockhart, Dr Smith  (the evil one) and of course Robbie the Robot.
As a kid it would freak me out!  I would quickly change the channel till the suspense was over. The picture of Robbie flailing his arms over his head saying "Danger, danger!" along with the music would just do it to me.  Alien vs Predator are you kidding me?  I guess I am just a sensitive soul.  Some of my kids are the same way.
If I watch something like "America's Funniest Home Videos" and a older person falls or a guy gets it... I hurt,  ahh... umm..... somewhere.  Really, it is so strange.  I can deal with pain, see previous blog, but something about the thinking and picturing other people about to get it just pushes my boundaries a bit too far.
Sometimes you will picture a radio personality a certain way and when you actually see their picture you think, "That's not them". Our minds conceive of things a certain way and have a hard time dealing with reality or change.  Videos of old people falling doesn't inflict more pain upon them, no matter how many times they are repeated.  I remember watching an AFV video, the shot was of a baseball game from behind home plate.  The batter fouled the ball straight back, the ball came right at the camera.  I ducked because that ball was heading straight for me.  Everyone else laughed  (at me). Things are not always what they seem.
We do the same with the Word.  We freak out at what we think it says.  We misunderstand and end up in condemnation to what we think it says and live in that deception. Ever read this verse?
John 15:5    I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
I used to get condemned that I wasn't bearing enough fruit until God showed me that the most important fruit we could start to bear was love, joy, peace, patience and so on. (ever try to develop your  "so on"?   It is not all that easy.)     The possibility of not understanding the Word is why it's so important to spend time with the author.  I don't know how many times I have heard that still small voice telling me something that gave me understanding to my previous misunderstandings. Understand?

1 comment: