Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Drilling for Gold...(the red kind) or Give till it Hurts

Milea has been "hinting" that with our iron rich diet, that being a guy and as of late not having any accidental blood letting, that I needed to go give blood (too much iron in the blood can cause joint pain and more). So, I had time and went down to the local Red Cross to donate. Everything went well till I got ready to give. (please note: I have a very high tolerance to pain, although I have never given birth- not by my choosing- I have stepped on many nails- as a kid and as best I remember all in my left foot, cut the tip off of my right index finger and shocked the doctor that stitched me up because of my calmness, a week later detached the end of my finger that was previously sewn on- which hurt much more than the original incident, sent a giant splinter of wood though my knuckles pinning my hand closed, I could go on but I think you may have gotten the point. So, I sat down on the chair to start the blood letting... I commenced with my normal banter to break the ice, the supposed nurse AKA (also know as) the pile driver commenced to clean my arm and locate the vein (the future location of the beam to be driven in to hold the future structure). (Please note: I have given blood before probably 5 times without complaint or incident).  Here is a picture of my pile driving nurse.

As she started "inserting" the beam I noted that the angle of the beam was about 45 degrees to the predetermined mark over a vein. (being in construction I am good at seeing angles and possible projections of beams). Seeing that my vein was right below the surface and very predominate, I could tell she would strike "gold" real quick.  She proceeded to insert the beam that appeared to go through the vein and further into the muscle (of which of course, I have an abundance of) and continued to nearly the full length of the 1 1/2 to 2 inch needle. Seeing that I was not getting paid for the blood, I gave her my complaint about the beam going through my arm. She responded that she was very experienced and has been a pile driver for 17 years. After which she removed most of the needle and with a sideways motion inserted it into my vein. Upon which she again commented on her previous experience and said she must have driven the beam to the side of the predetermined correct position noting that I must have been inserting to many previous beams in that location and it was hard for her to get it right. (The last construction project in that location was a year or two ago). After reassuring me as to her experience we finished the procedure. Later in the evening I noticed what must be a bug bite on the back of my arm several inches above the location of the beam insertion but on the opposite side. hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment