Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hypocrisy of Words or Words of Hypocrisy Pt 3

   So, why are we looking at this (Parts1&2)?   Our goal is to live a consistent life and one that is pleasing to God.  To be pleasing to God you have to realize that we need to live by God's standards and not by society's standards.  So lets continue...
  What is wrong with one word over another?  See last post on synonyms of the word we use for our rears.  Do all these words not all convey the same meaning?  Is one more wrong than the other?  If I were to ask you to picture each one of these synonyms would any of them create a different picture even slightly?            
  I am not trying to offend but let's talk openly and honestly.

 **You may wish to cover your eyes to the following sentence.**

  Let's consider the word "ass" for a bit.  "Steve...  Steve... get on and move to the scriptures..."  Okay here is one for you:
  Ge 22:3  And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass...   (whatever that means)  Sorry, I couldn't resist (the truth is I could  of resisted but chose not to) this verse has always had a funny side for me... and probably only me.  When I was growing up the word butt had the same stigma that ass has today but, butt has lost it's "wrongness".  What is the standard that most of us use?  It is generally our society or group of people we are around.  So lets look at their track record.  This is the same society that has determined that it is okay to kill an unborn baby but not kill a murderer or a whale or owl or cat or dog?  Can we let their judgement be our guide?  What does God say about it? Anybody? Anything?
Okay, there are verses:
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
  Let's look at three different statements and see which might be wrong or acceptable.
"You're an ass!"
"Look at his/her ass!"
"Please move your ass."
 Okay, to call someone an ass is wrong (we are commanded to bless people with words and not cut them down or curse them, curse meaning; to call evil upon or to speak abusively or contemptuously of or loathe or detest).  So we could consider calling someone an ass wrong or corrupt.  The second, I believe would also come under the banner of corrupt communication because it is making fun of (taken one way) or enticing another to lust (taken another).  The third... first a story. I was with someone at a restaurant a while ago and we were sitting on the same side of the booth.  In ordering we realized that if we would exchange various items from the other's order, once the food got to the table, we could both could get the perfect breakfast.  When the food came we started the great exchange, however, some of their food was my way so I asked the other person, "Move your muffin." to which they responded by sliding farther away from me on the booth seat.  Is there really a difference between asking someone to move their muffin or to move their ass?  I know some are flinching but, honestly consider.  Scripturally speaking, I believe the third is acceptable.  Think about it, you are not "cursing" or deriding someone...  "But Steve you are being crass."  Oops I forgot... Jesus said don't be crass. (Crass being unrefined)
  I really would like to get into a look at swearing but I guess that is for another time, I swear it is. (Selah)
  I know some are having a problem with this.  In the end,  there are three things I would like to accomplish by these three hypocrisy blogs.  First, watch our own mouths and what we are actually saying (part1). Second, where do your standards come from?  Are they just traditions of men, or just religious actions or are they from God? Or do you make man's standards, God's?(parts 2&3) Third, start to develop a less harsh judgement of others (I guess in today's lingo, be tolerant. The New Testament puts it  like this, love covers, overlooks, a multitude of offenses), even though they may not measure up to your definition of refinement and acceptability.
  Will I be using the word "ass" more? Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment